Wednesday, November 01, 2006

This is Halloween, This is Halloween ...

First off, kudos to anybody who recognized the "Nightmare Before Christmas" allusion in the subject heading ...

The town came to life for Halloween ... From the hundreds of riot police that filled the city (evidently last year the occasion was marred by somewhat unruly protests by the right-wing political party ... because, naturally *sarcasm*, when one thinks of Halloween one thinks of immigrants -- their main policital raison d'etre) to the numerous celebrations and decorations that had a slightly unfamiliar flavor to an American raised on trick-or-treating and ghools & goblins ... less gore, more frivolty ...

At one point, I ended up a party at "the Ring House" ... a residence so named not because it is on the "ring road' that encircles Leuven-proper, but because they have a boarded-up well in the basement (a la "The Ring" movies) ... that made me slightly uncomfortable ...

My costume for the evening was a suit I made out of some of Leuven's highly-discernable garbage backs (they have a hightly structured and regulated trash collection system here) with a sign saying "More American Trash" ... those who didn't know me were confused, the others who did were highly appreciative of my lighthearted, multi-layered critical commentary ... (although not nearly as developed as last years --> authentic arab clothing -- keffiyeh and all -- with a "Hello my name is : Peaceful Arab Majority" nametag and a stuffed-animal monkey with "Curious George W" nametag draped around my neck and over my back ...) I ask you, what good is a Halloween costume if you can't be sardonic and glib at least for one night ?!?

Anyway, a good time was had by all until about 7am ... in typical Spanish/Italian style






No comments: