Wednesday, March 14, 2007

De Hoge Veluwe ...

On little more than a rumor and a hunch, I followed the springtime weather (and, technically, also a train and a bus) out to De Hoge Vueluwe National Park (about 6 km outside of Arnhem) ... the largest of its kind in Holland, it is home to a 26 km bicycle circuit through a wealth of the most wonderful and peaceful landscapes ...






After meandering through hours of vast and vacant landscapes (not encountering another soul), I stumbled upon the Kroller-Muller Museum ... the personal collection of the the park's benefactors houses a very familiar collection of Van Gogh's and Picasso's as well as a fine collection of pointalist works ...

The Museum also is home to Europe's largest sculpture garden ... spread out amongst the surrounding forrest ...


The day was so magical and the scene so magnificent that this short entry cannot begin to do it justice ... The source of some of my most pleasant memories of Europe ... I felt like I might be starting to understand what Aristotle meant by Eudaimonia ... (feel free insert your favorite "it's all greek to me" joke here____________ )


More of the day's beauty can be found on my Flickr site ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/nixdorff/

1 comment:

mel said...

finally visited ur blog...looks like ur having a blast. well..still busy with board studying and then summer...take care.